MiDAS training provided on a one-to-one basis for maximum flexibility.
MiDAS, the Minibus Driver Awareness Scheme, is a nationally recognised standard for the assessment and training of minibus drivers. The scheme is organised by the Community Transport Association (CTA UK). Our experienced team of Driving Training / Assessors train hundreds of individuals a year to the MiDAS standard.
BCT has over 20 years experience of providing minibus training and run courses on a regular basis. We recognise, however, that the training dates available may not always be convenient. We also appreciate that some individuals would prefer one to one training rather than classroom based training. To address this need we offer the nationally-recognised MiDAS qualification on a one-to-one basis. One of our experienced trainers/assessors would visit your premises to conduct the course on a date to your convenience. If preferred, the course could be conducted at our own premises.
One-to-One training is different to our other courses as it is specific to the needs of the driver. We tailor the course delivery to ensure that the driving requirements of you, and your organisation, are specifically addressed. The course is conducted to meet your needs, availability, working timetable, and budget. By enabling you to choose the training date you are able to fit the training around other working and voluntary commitments, and thus minimise disruption with working schedules etc. The course can be conducted on a Saturday for added flexibility.
Who can undertake the course?
- Must be at least 21 years old and under 70
- Hold a full, current, clean driving license
- Have passed their car driving test two years previously
- Hold a category D1 entitlement on their driving licence (may not always be necessary)
- Be able to undertake a simple eyesight check
What are the Benefits?
- MiDAS brings a wide range of benefits including:
- Enhanced passenger safety and improved passenger comfort
- Potential savings in insurance and running costs
- A single recognisable certificate to ensure high standards of driving
- Nationally recognised standard
- Community Transport Association appointed training officers
What does the course consist of?
Module One – Standard Certificate (Compulsory)
- Training in the skills required to drive a minibus
- A thorough knowledge of the legal responsibilities of a minibus driver and duty of care
- Department for Transport codes of practice in safe carriage of passengers
- Good practice in passenger comfort
- Health and Safety at work for Drivers
- Manoeuvring of vehicles
- Defensive Driving techniques
At the end of this session, candidates sit a written test paper, consisting of 20 questions, the answers to which will be contained in the training session, and in the minibus drivers handbook provided to each candidate.
Candidates must answer a minimum of 18 questions correctly, before they proceed to the driving assessment, and may only re-sit the examination once.
The Driving Assessment
There is also a 90 minute on-the-road driving assessment to ascertain practical driving skills. The Trainer/Assessor will identify issues that need to be addressed and encourage the delegate to improve their driving skills. This includes:
- A demonstration drive to show the standard required
- The opportunity to familiarise yourself with the vehicle
- An assessment of your driving skill and competence
Module Two – Accessible Certificate (Optional)
This module is for those carrying wheelchair users
- Safe use of ramps and tail lifts
- Wheelchair and passenger restraint equipment
- Department for Transport codes of practice on safe carriage of passengers in wheelchairs
- Good practice on passenger assistance
- Information on disability, carrying children and professional etiquette
At the end of this session, candidates sit a further written exam paper, consisting of ten questions, of which eight must be answered correctly.
Drivers must not, under any circumstances, carry disabled passengers, or operate any accessible equipment in BCT vehicles, unless they have completed this training module.
On successful completion of the training and driving assessment, drivers are presented with a nationally recognised MiDAS certificate. Drivers are also issued with a photo-ID card. A MiDAS certificate is valid for four years.
Monday to Friday:
One candidate ~ £290.00
Two candidates ~ £390.00
One candidate ~ £375.00
Two candidates ~ £475.00
Costs include comprehensive Drivers Handbook, MiDAS Certificate, Photo-ID Card, copy of the Highway Code, High Visibility jacket, relevant Department for Transport leaflets, and free use of a BCT vehicle for driving assessment (if required).
The above costings are based on the assumption that the course will be delivered in the Bristol area. Our trainers can travel further afield to conduct the training; please contact us if you’d like further information.
Please call our Training Team on 0117 902 0159 to discuss availability of training dates.
You can download an information pack and booking form here